Three months ago, my husband and I found out the apartment we were living in had toxic black mold because we were having symptoms that were getting worse, so we got rid of our heavy entertainment center that showed water damage and POOF! the nightmare began.
The mold spores on it spread throughout our apartment and immediately our symptoms became unbearable.
We moved to a new apartment in the complex to get away from it and the symptoms got immediately better. Since we only had 3 days to transfer apartments, we got rid of lots of stuff but brought much of our stuff with us. We spent the next 3 weeks getting rid of tons of stuff that gave me symptoms, trying frantically to clean, get rid of. It was awful. We were already so exhausted from everything.
We finally gave up trying to save anything and got rid of everything we owned, minus one hard drive. We lived in hotels and stayed with my hubby's co-worker.
I was getting bad symptoms from being in the hotels though...especially one was really bad. After that night, (though I had definitely increased in hypersensitivity before that due to being constantly in the mold) I became extremely chemically sensitive and had trouble going in any public places. (Wow, just realized that was the tipping point!)
We had finally signed a lease in a new apartment complex and moved in but the fumes from insecticide, paint, carpet and cleaning chemicals (we couldn't figure out what) were intolerable for us. We had to camp and couldn't inhabit our place. We transferred to a new apartment in the complex. It was better, such that we decided we could live in it, and signed a new lease.
It soon became unbearable as well, and we again started camping. We've been looking into options ever since, and all the while still living in this apartment, with symptoms continuing to get worse. I cannot go out in public without getting symptoms unless I am wearing a respirator mask. (Yes, everybody stares.) Even then, I still get symptoms if the place is particularly full of fragrances, chemicals, etc. We cannot even camp comfortably anymore because I cannot tolerate the campfires people are burning.
Basically the only place I can take off my mask is at the beach. Even there, if people walk by, I have to put it back on. Or near the plants on the beach, I get a mold reaction (different symptoms). I've got to be breathing in fresh ocean air off the waves, otherwise I am getting symptoms (pounding headaches, burning lips, eyes, throat, nausea, weakness, etc.)
It's a pretty miserable existence and I've definitely had suicidal thoughts. This is no way to live. It's incredibly frustrating to be eating this optimal diet and be taken down by environmental illness. I've had 3+ years of health problems from deficiencies which I've slowly corrected one by one, and then straight into this (still working on the problems from iodine deficiency). Now wondering how many of those deficiencies were happening due to mold exposure, which causes depletion of important nutrients in the body.
I'm currently looking into RV parks on the beach because Florida is moldy and I strongly doubt any apartment or house will not have some type of mold, and I am extremely sensitive to it. I've already investigated living in a van parked by the beach but I can't tolerate new vans due to off-gassing of chemicals, can't tolerate older vans due to mold/mildew, and the ones a few years old are way out of our price range....especially considering we've been completely wiped out financially by losing everything we own, losing hubby's work time to address this, hotel stays, extra expenses for signing new leases, and living in a more expensive apartment complex to get away from the mold.
I've done a lot of reading and researching and am calling this thing mold-induced multiple chemical sensitivity, because it exactly matches the experience of others who use that term. We just saw a doctor who treats MCS yesterday and learned some good ideas that have worked for his other MCS and lyme patients.
And now I am seeking a safe place to live. I cannot express how exhausting it is and completely depleting to have no ability to rest or relax in safety, for 3 horrible months. I've looked into trailers built to be MCS-safe but couldn't use them in Florida because they are not meant to be moved (and we have hurricanes here so need the trailer to be mobile). So now we are hunting out an RV that is new enough to not have mold damage, but old enough to not have off-gassing chemicals. And if that doesn't work...will have to think of our next step/option.
I've now met multiple raw vegans with MCS, and though they do better with this diet, they still have MCS and chemical exposures can "take them down", so to speak. I am glad to not be alone and to have people to talk to....but disheartened to hear this is something that will not go completely away.
Dr. Sam said he got hypersensitivity when he was zinc deficient, so I've been using that (and did test deficient). Don Bennett is wondering if some of this is heavy metal detox and I need chelators to escort the metals out of my body. The MCS doctor also said this, so this is another thing I am trying. Dr. Sam did not get his hypersensitivity from his bad mold exposure (and he seemed to have worse mold symptoms than me), so his story is my one hope that maybe this will go away. Actually I've read another story about how fixing the magnesium, amino acid, and zinc deficiency made symptoms go away. (I'm already supplementing with magnesium and amino acids, so zinc is the only new one to me.)
But Kris Trader, long term fruit-based eater and wife of Dr. Tim Trader, still has MCS, and so do some other people who have tried the things I am trying, due to their MTHFR gene problem. I'm sure hoping I don't have that, and plan to do the genetic testing once I find a safe place.
Some people apparently get MCS from chemical exposure, some from living in mold, some for unknown reasons, so not all are sensitive to mold like I am, so wouldn't have that added complication.
There's not too much I've read on MCS that's been written by fruitarians, so I feel it is important to be talking about this. :)